Pages

Friday, September 4, 2009

I've learned something new...

This morning when I was reading my scriptures, after I read a chapter in Ether, I went back to 1 Nephi and read the first 2 chapters. I have decided to attend an institute class in the area and our assignment this week is to read the first 10 chapters of 1 Nephi.

As I was reading, I was reminded of how much I love Nephi. He is funny to me, as well as inspiring, good and true. This morning as I read in chapter 2, I discovered something I never knew...I always thought that Nephi was older than Sam. I guess I figured this was the case because of how much Laman and Lemuel complained and moaned and groaned either because they had to do so much work or because their little brother was bossing them.

1 Nephi 2:5 says, '...and my older brothers, who were Laman, Lemuel, and Sam.'

Reading this gives me more respect for Sam, who was humble enough to listen AND FOLLOW his little brother. It also makes Laman and Lemuel (in my eyes) even bigger stinkers than before!

To learn more about Nephi, click on his name. I LOVE THE BOOK OF MORMON!!

ttfn!

2 comments:

  1. Dedra, it is so true! Sam was truly a benevolent person who obviously not only loved his younger brother but respected him as well.

    Thank you for sharing. I'm reading the New Testament now so I'm finding myself missing my individual Book of Mormon study time. Luckily, we're reading it as a family so I still get some study time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never thought about that before about how Sam, unlike his other elder brothers, humbled himself to listen and follow his younger brothers' counsel. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete