Pages

Sunday, March 21, 2010

10 more things...

10 things I learned from my Mom/remember her saying...repeatedly. (Written for my own memory)



1. When cleaning your bedroom, make your bed first. She'd tell me to clean my room, I'd go in there and sleep. She'd tell me again, I'd say I don't know where to start. She'd tell me to make my bed first. It makes the room seem cleaner already. I'd clean my whole room, minus the bed and ask her if I could skip that part. Why make your bed if you're just going to get back in it? I'm still not very good at making my bed, but I tell me kids to make their bed first, everytime I tell them to clean their room.

2. She taught me how to (Stmht) clean a bathroom. Including corners, around the floor boards and behind/around the toilet. I guess I didn't do it good enough the first 100 times. haha

3. Stmht talk to people. Because of the way I grew up, I am not afraid to talk to a stranger, give a talk in church, or be told no when I'm trying something new. If it doesn't work out, it's not my fault and I am not going to give up.

4. Stmht make and tie a quilt.

5. She told me to sleep in rollers as often as I can. You never know who you're going to meet. Mistle Toe in your hair at Christmas...sure! (I did NOT do these and rolled my eyes everytime she told me, but she did recommend them)

6. It's better to be 30 minbutes early than 5 minutes late.

7. Don't ever beg. Ask once, if they say no, find someone else. (seriously! It's a yes or no question people!)

8. Mom introduced me to musicals. I LOVE MUSICALS!

9. Because of her example I LOVE road trips. If Ken can't go, that's really too bad and we'll miss him, but we're going anyway! I'm not afraid of a long drive, going to places I've never been. Bring it on!

10. She had the CRAZIEST ideas on the type of clothes I should wear and how I should fix my hair. I did my best to listen and then did things my own way. I never understood that those crazy ideas were innocent suggestions until I started giving my great ideas to Nicole and I saw the SAME FACE I used to give my mom-behind her back.

11. Mom once told me if she wanted me to learn a certain song on the piano, all she had to do was play it a few times in front of me. I didn't listen to her when she gave me a piano assignment, but if I liked what I was hearing, I wanted to play it too. It worked!

a bonus memory...

When I was in elementary school Mom would sometimes fix my hair for church on Sundays and put fancy hair things in. She made some of them out of long dangly ear rings and I LOVED THEM! I was looking for them when I was in WA at her funeral but I vaguely remember her throwing them out. So sad.

Today my parents would have been married for 41 years. Families are forever!

2 comments:

  1. My mom always tells us the bed thing too. When you move or clean a room, ALWAYS make the bed first - so if you poop outbefre you are done, at least you have a nice bed to rest in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That bed thing is genius! What awesome memories :)

    ReplyDelete