Pages

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Where were you on September 11, 2001


7 years ago today, I was a pregnant stay at home mom with a 2 & 3 year old. Ken has just had emergency surgery the week before and this was his first day back to school and work. Our morning routine was breakfast, baths, and then a movie. (I know that isn't very productive, we've improved since those days.) Anyway, the movie for the morning would be Tarzan. I rarely turned the TV on for my own watching pleasure, so when I realized the movie needed rewinding, I switched to regular TV while it rewound.

At that point in my life I wasn't really interested in history. On the TV was a picture of the Pentagon, after it was damaged. I thought it was some history show because I had the volume turned down and didn't listen to the comentary. As soon as the movie was rewound, we watched Tarzan.

A couple of hours later, Ken came home from work early, he wasn't feeling well. As soon as he walked in the door he asked me if I heard happened in NYC, to the Pentagon and in PA. I told him I didn't know and he informed me of the whole thing.

At the moment I felt sick to my stomach for not caring about the history of our country, or the VERY current events. I felt scared because we had 2 small children and one on the way. All of the sudden I wasn't so sure that I was ready to have children and raise them in this world. It's a good thing my doubts started after it was too late to turn back.

I found a tribute on you tube that I think is lovely. I'm not sure how to put it right onto this post, but if you get a moment, click on this link and take 5 minutes to remember that tragic day. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZV2L0EM08I


No comments:

Post a Comment