Pages

Saturday, September 27, 2008

Something I never thought I'd say...

I own a cat. UG!!!
Okay, so we have just moved to Great Bend, Kansas. We live right on the edge of town, about 1 block from a big horse farm. That farm has field mice. We do too. I saw mouse droppings in our garage. We set up the traps and talked to the neighbors about this problem. It is something that comes with living so close to the farm. So after much thinking, I came up with the idea of getting a mouser. After I decided this, it took me almost thirty minutes to get the sentence "I think we should get a mouser" out of my mouth. Ken was surprised too. For those of you who don't know me very well, I HATE CATS. Yes, hate is a strong word, and I feel confident in using it in that sentence.

Anyway, I called my friend Donna who lives in Burdette, and she said she has 9 kittens and said we could come and take our pick for free. The price was right, so off to Burdette we went this morning.

When we got there, the kittens were really small and scared and I thought Nicole had died and gone to heaven, she LOVES the little fur balls. We let each of the kids pick a kitten and threw a third one in the box for good measure. That way if an owl got hungry, we had a spare. My only stipulation was they had to be girls because I didn't want my boy cats to run off impregnating the neighborhood.

After 20 minutes of picking cats, we had successfully secured 3 female kittens. Matthew held his all the way from Burdette, I pulled over between Burdette and Larned and Ken got Nicole's out of the box and she held her's. The last one was hissing at Ken, so he left it in the box. Once it found out it was all alone, Ken got it out and held it.

As we were discussing names, Matthew's naming process went like this...I think her name is Linda. (I tried not to laugh) Later it went to Molly, then Carley. It's name is Baylee. Nicole's went like this...(the night before, her name is Grace.) When we got there, she was calling out the name Grace and the one that came to her, got the name. Then it ran away. We found her another cat, and on the way home, her name was still Grace. Then she changed it to Miss Piggy, Pumpkin Pie and finally Zoey. The third cat was up to Ken and I to name it. We talked over names such as Door Knob, Mailbox, Trochar (an embalming too used to asperate dead bodies) and finally we named it Speed Bump.

When we got home, I ran in and got little ribbons to tie around their necks, so we could tell which one was which. Speed Bump got a yellow ribbon, Baylee got an orange, and Zoey's was too small, so she didn't get one. We could tell them all apart though. It was time to put them in the garage to get used to our surrounding and Speed Bump started clawing me. I turned to Ken for help and he looked at her, and said, that cat is a boy! BLASTED!! We got them thru our gate and I set HIM down for a second, and the dang thing jumped thru the fence, ran thru the neighbors pumpkin patch and to the horse field, never to be seen again. Sianara little bratty boy cat!
Now we have Baylee and Zoey as mousers. Ken made the comment that maybe we would see Speed Bump in the rode sometimes, I don't really care either way. I'm just thankful for the insight to grab the spare! One of the kids could have been really sad right now, if Speed Bump was one of the first 2 cats picked.
For those of you that enjoy furry little felines, here is a picture of the two that stuck around. Zoey is on top, and Baylee below. You can kind of see Baylee's orange ribbon.


No comments:

Post a Comment