Pages

Friday, July 24, 2009

I AM SO HAPPY!!!

It's 10:38pm. Ken and Matthew have gone to Wichita to pick up a man from our ward who has been hospitalized for over a week. Nicole and I decided we were going to go to bed early because we are so tired. On my way to my room I notice she is carrying a stack of books. To many of my friends with children this is not an unusual sight. In our home, it is. I don't know where I've gone wrong as a mother, but neither of my kids like to read and IF we find a book that is interesting to them, once they've put in their 30 minutes a day, they are DONE...in the middle of the page, chapter or sentence, it doesn't matter. They don't like to read.

We get into my bed, and she opens this book, 'Love Your Friend, Hannah' by Minnie Skolsky and gets a couple of pages into it and is laughing! Nicole never laughs when she's reading books. I tell her we are turning the light off at 10 and I set us a timer. When it gets to 10, the weirdest and BEST thing happens!! Nicole asked if she could read a few more minutes. I told her to go ahead and finish her chapter. 10 minutes later, I ask her how far she has to go and she replies, 'Can you sleep with the light on?' I AM SO HAPPY!! Of course I say yes, I turn over to try to sleep, but seriously...she is so disruptive! She can't believe how funny this book is...AND she's asking QUESTIONS about stuff she reading in there!!!

I can't tell you how exciting this is for me! I feel like going on Amazon and buying every book written by this lady.

ps, she just asked me for a book report sheet because she WANTS to do one!! This is the first volunteer EVER in our home.
HOORAY!!

2 comments:

  1. That IS awesome! Reading is wonderful, exciting, and a entry into a whole new world of knowledge! I'm excited for you, and can't wait until Cami can read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you'd never thought they didn't like to read, they are so smart, and they read well in Primary and you've got to be kidding that they don't like to read. That is exciting she found a book she loves to read, remember the quote by sister draper about some of your old favs, and this can be one for Nicole! READ ON!

    ReplyDelete