Pages

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Happy Birthday Grandpa!

Today is my Grandpa Price's Birthday. He is 85.

When I was growing up in Boise, Idaho, then Oregon and finally Washington, one of my favorite things to do was go to Basin City to visit my Grandparents and my cousins.

Here are some memories I have from Basin City as well as with my Grandpa.

*My Grandparents used to have a mini car. I just asked my Mom what kind it was and she said it was a miniature Datsun Pickup. It was gas powered and when we sat in it, our heads stuck out the roof. When we would go visit, we'd spend hours doing laps around my grandparents house in the mini car with our cousins and my grandpa. I wish I had a picture of it, I don't feel like I'm describing it well enough.

*My grandparents lived in a small town out about 25 miles from town. Once we would take the exit by the airport to drive to their house, the hunt was on for 'Grandpa's Harvestors.' They were 2 tall grain silos that held grain, located up on radar hill, just passed their town. When we could see those harvestors, we knew we'd FINALLY be there. I haven't driven that long road in many years, but as a child it felt like it took about 2 hours to get there.

*When my Grandma died, 20 years ago next month, we stayed in their house while we were in town for the funeral. That house was very large and had many bedrooms. Since there was other family coming into town for the Funeral that were staying there also, some of the grandkids were put on the couches downstairs. I slept on the recliner infront of the Zenith Console TV. The night before the funeral, at the ripe old age of 11, I slept walk and ended up in bed with every single person in that house. If memory serves correctly, I think there were 7 bedrooms. I was in bed with my Grandpa when my Aunt Jan and Uncle Tom came into town. Apparantly I got up and left while they were visiting. The next morning, I learned that I took a turn in their bed also. I've not heard of any reoccurences of my sleep walking habit since then.

*When we went to visit we would eat my Grandpa's Honey Comb Cereal. I still love honey comb to this day and everytime I eat it I think of my Grandpa.

*My grandpa was at the temple when I took out my endowments. Ken happened to be there also. (we weren't engaged then) When I introduced him to my Grandpa, he told Ken that he didn't want to meet him again if it wasn't at this same building (the temple) dressed in white. Ken shook his hand said said, 'Yes Sir.' We were married in the same building 6 months later and my Grandpa was a witness.

Here are some pics of My Grandpa. I love him very much!!
July 2008, in Moses Lake, WA at the Price Family Reunion.
At his house in Kennewick, WA.

1 comment:

  1. Dedra, what a sweet man! He's certainly got a twinkle in his eye. Anyone over 25 who rides a stick pony is obviously awesome!

    ReplyDelete