Pages

Monday, February 23, 2009

Nicole, The Friend, Text Messaging, Visiting Teaching and the Sister Missionaries...

Me: Colie, do you know I love you?Add Image
Nicole: sigh, yes.
Me: How do you know?
Nicole: Because you're my parent...sounding a little annoyed to be having this conversation.
Me: But how do you know that I love you?
(This is my secret way of checking with my kids to see if I'm doing a good job...an evaluation is you will...)
Nicole: Because you fix my hair and play games with me.
Me: What kind of games do you like to play?
Nicole: (In a really loud voice that startled me) BOOM-O!!
Me: I love Boom-o too.
Nicole: I WANT TO MARRY BOOM-O!!!
(yikes!)
I laughed, she laughed, and then she asked me if I wanted to marry Boom-o too. We'll talk about polygamy and also inanimate objects another time...


That conversation will count as one thing that I am thankful for today.


#2. Family Home Evening. (FHE) Tonight I taught the lesson. It was a copycat of a sharing time I did a long time ago when we were living in Oregon. I basically did a book review of The Friend Magazine. I went almost page for page and explained how the magazine was organized, what kinds of activities they had in it and the talks. I showed them that were lessons that matched what Ken and I are learning in Relief Society/Priesthood Meeting. Of course I reminded them of the hidden CTR ring. I was so glad that we went over it because they both wanted to read it when we were done. I'd buy 2 subscriptions if they would use it. I've felt lately that I'm the only one who reads in and I really want Nicole and Matthew to learn from it also.


I'm actually going to copy something I learned from the same ward in Oregon. Each month the youth were asked to read the magazine cover to cover...they read the New Era. Then they would have a New Era Challenge (if I remember correctly. I was never in YW there so this is all from eavesdropping. Maybe not the best source.) They would be in 2 teams...the Young Men and the Young Women. They would be asked questions that they had read about in the month’s issue. Also if I remember correctly, the losers brought refreshments to the next fireside. At least that is how I remember. If anyone is reading this and sees I have the facts wrong, please correct them.


My point is that I'm going to do this same thing with my kids each month to review the magazine and maybe give them some incentive to READ IT!


3. Today when I was at Wal-Mart* grocery shopping, I saw something funny that reminded me of my friend. I was able to tell her about it because I had my cell phone with me. I think #3 will be text messaging. I LOVE IT!


4. Visiting Teaching. I went yesterday. I could have added that to yesterday's list as #s 6-10. Today I'm adding it because it's been on my mind all day. I just got a new route and I LOVE IT! I enjoyed my old route too, this one is just a lot closer to home and I also enjoy change. My companion--who was baptized less than 6 months ago--is awesome! I feel overwhelmed that they chose me to teach her how to VT, but also thankful that I will be able to get to know her better.


5. The Sister Missionaries. I saw them at Wal-Mart* today. I ran into them 3 or 4 times when I in different parts of the store and each time they made me smile. I'm thankful we have female missionaries. They are an excellent example to Nicole and to me as well.


*2 good things happened at Wal-Mart today. I'm thankful for each experience, but I can't see myself actually being grateful for Wal-Mart. Just incase you were wondering...

No comments:

Post a Comment