Pages

Friday, January 28, 2011

Obligatory post.

Some days I don't really have anything to blog about but I kind of feel an obligation to post something, just so I don't fall out of the habit. Welcome to an obligatory post.

One year ago today I was on my lunch break, in the drive thru of Long John Silver's. I had already placed my order and was now in line to pay. My cell phone rang and it was my Dad. It's not uncommon for him to call me through out the day. I thought nothing of it. I answered my phone and this is how the conversation went.

Me: Hola!
Dad: Hi. What are you doing?
Me: Ordering a fish taco.
Dad: We're at the Dr. Mom's cancer is back. It's in her bones, her spine, on her chin and it stems from her breast.
Me: silent. tears coming at a rapid pace. What?!
Dad: We're at the doctor. Mom's cancer is back. It's in her bones, her spine, on her chin and it stems from her breast.
Me: What are they going to do about it? Is she going to be okay?
Dad: We're waiting to get our instructions. She'll probably start chemo in a week. She'll have surgery the beginning of next week to put a port in. If we don't do anything she has 6 months.
Me: more silence and tears. Ok.
Dad: are you okay?
Me: fine.

We hang up. I'm bawling as I get my stupid fish taco.

No treatment would have bought my mom 6 months to live.
Chemo killed her 28 days.

I hate cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment